Representative Transactions Corporate Partner Philip Schroeder to Buchalter Philip C. Schroeder is a Shareholder in the Firm’s Corporate Practice Group in Orange County. Phil focuses his practice on fulfilling the general corporate needs of early stage to middle market companies with an emphasis on financing transactions and technology transfer agreements. He provides advice with respect to transactions geared toward growth including preferred stock financings, bridge loan financings, and mergers and acquisitions. Phil represents clients with respect to a wide range of other contractual arrangements including stockholders agreements, employment and consulting agreements, and employee compensation plans (including stock options and other forms of equity incentive plans). He advises founders on choice of entity and setting up new companies including limited liability companies, S-corporations and C-corporations.
In addition to his corporate and securities work, Phil develops strategies for protecting his clients’ intellectual property and advises clients with respect to the various protections afforded by patent, trademark, copyright and trade secret laws. His intellectual property practice involves representing clients in connection with licensing agreements, trademark prosecution, nondisclosure agreements, technology acquisition agreements, technology development agreements, manufacturing agreements, distribution agreements and a broad range of other commercial agreements involving the use, development or transfer of intellectual property.
Phil is an active member of the technology and venture capital community and a member of OCTANe.
Angel, Venture Capital and Other Early Stages Financings
- Data Warehouse Appliance Provider. Represented company in $6 million Series A and $16.5 million Series B Preferred Stock financings.
- Data Back-up and Recovery System Provider. Represented company in $15 million Series E Preferred Stock financing and its acquisition by EMC Corporation.
- GPS Semiconductor and Software Company. Represented company in $5 million Series D Preferred Stock financing, $4.2 million follow-on Series D Preferred Stock financing, $9.4 million Bridge Loan financing, and recapitalization.
- Software Provider. Represented business intelligence software provider in $6 million Series A Preferred Stock financing.
- Social Media Company. Represented company in Bridge Loan and Series A Preferred Stock financings.
- Reverse Mortgage Servicer. Represented reverse mortgage servicer in $10 million Series A Preferred Stock financing.
- Private Equity Group. Represented private equity group in $3.5 million Preferred Stock investment in a retail mortgage lender.
- Server and Data Storage Provider. Represented provider of server and data storage platforms in $4 million investment by Chinese investor.
Mergers and Acquisitions
- On-line Storage Provider. Represented target in acquisition by AOL.
- Acquirer. Represented acquirer in acquisition of data mining technology from foreign-based company.
- Computer Game Developer. Represented target in acquisition by Amazon.com, Inc.
- Financial Services Company. Represented financial services company in the reverse mortgage space on $135 million acquisition by a public company.
Intellectual Property Transactions
- SAAS Provider. Represented software as a service provider in connection with License Agreement with UK company desiring to sell the client’s software services.
- Software Development Tools Provider. Represented online provider of software development tools in connection with Click-Through User Agreement.
- Software Developer. Represented online address book service provider in connection with Production and Cooperative Marketing Agreement with provider of software incorporated into client’s product offering.
- Apparel Company. Represented apparel company in connection with License Agreement with major distributor.
- Data Storage Appliance Provider. Represented electronic data storage appliance provider in connection with OEM Purchase Agreement for components used in its appliance.
- Data Warehouse Appliance Provider. Represented data warehouse appliance provider in connection with License and Software Support Agreement.
- Health Food Company. Represented nutrition and skin care company in connection with celebrity endorsement contract and management of international trademark portfolio.
- Visitor and Convention Bureau. Represented client in connection with various agreements related to production of an online commercial including production agreement, talent releases, and music and content licenses.
- “Recent Changes in Privacy Laws May Impact Your Business,” Daily Journal, August 10, 2012
- “Trademark Protection in the Entertainment Industry,” Daily Journal, August 18, 2011
- “Five Ways to Increase the Value of Your Technology Licenses,” Orange County Business Journal, July 12, 2010
- “Protecting Ownership of Your Small Business,” The Bent of Tau Beta Pi, April 1, 2007
Prior to his legal career, Phil worked as a Project Engineer for six and one-half years in the aircraft and medical device manufacturing industries. He is a licensed Professional Mechanical Engineer.
Phil earned his J.D. at Loyola Law School, cum laude, in 2003. He received his M.S. in Mechanical Engineering at the University of California Irvine in 1993 and his B.S. in Mechanical Engineering from Columbia University in 1992.
Areas of Practice
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Intellectual Property
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office